Utilizing Platelet Rich Plasma to Rejuvenate Your Face
If you’re tired of dull, unhealthy-looking skin, and are looking for a natural way to achieve skin rejuvenation, Hemingway Medical Spa has the right skincare treatment for you! The Vampire Facial, or “Platelet Rich Plasma” (PRP) Therapy, is a relatively new and sought-after skin therapy that utilizes a mask made out of the platelets of your own blood to plump the skin and return its natural glow.
The use of your own platelets to facilitate healing and skin repair is why this innovative facial treatment is deemed to be safer than most other cosmetic injectables. During a Vampire Facial, blood is extracted from your arm and then placed into a centrifuge that separates the plasma. Once the plasma is separated out, it is injected back into the treatment area by puncturing the skin using a microneedle. If you would like to learn more about vampire facials and how you might benefit from this treatment, our experts at Hemingway Medical Spa will be more than happy to accommodate you. Contact us or book an appointment today!
What Are Platelets and How Does a Vampire Facial Work?
Platelets are a component of the blood that is rich in proteins and help carry nutrients to the rest of our bodies. Among these proteins are growth factors, such as platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), transforming growth factor (TGF-β), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), epidermal growth factor (EGF), and insulin growth factor (IGF). When re-injected in high concentrations into the skin during a Vampire Facial, these growth factors can stimulate the production of collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid — which, when correctly balanced, stimulates healing in the body and leads to healthy and youthful appearing skin.
Vampire Facials start by collecting blood from a small puncture in a vein in the arm. The blood sample is then placed in a machine called a centrifuge which separates the components of blood into three layers: a layer rich in red blood cells, normal plasma, and platelet-rich plasma (PRP). The PRP segment is then extracted and infused back into your skin using the Eclipse MicroPen® microneedling device, driving the activated platelets and growth factors into the dermal layer. The growth factors then stimulate endogenous collagen production by promoting fibroblast growth and activity. It can also increase oxygen and nutrient delivery by increasing blood vessel development (angiogenesis).
The Benefits of PRP/ Vampire Facial on Your Skin
The effects of a Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment, also known as the Vampire Facial, can vary from person to person as all skin types and conditions are unique. In general, it is most well known for reducing acne scars, stretch marks, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improving skin texture and tone, and reducing the size of pores. It is also beneficial for those who have experienced high levels of sun damage, premature wrinkles, and anyone who wants a fresher-looking glow to their skin.
However, you may not be eligible to undergo a Vampire Facial if you have a medical history of blood-related health concerns. To best understand what benefits you will receive from a Vampire Facial, and if it is the skin treatment option for you, please come in for an in-person consultation with one of our experienced and knowledgeable team members!
What You Can Expect
During the consultation and prior to starting the treatment, our doctors will go through the steps that you can expect during your skin treatment. Our knowledgeable staff is committed to ensuring a stress-free and comfortable environment for all our patients.
Typically, a Vampire Facial will involve the following steps and procedures:
- The doctor will cleanse your skin in preparation for the treatment. This may involve utilizing a numbing cream
- Your doctor will draw blood from your arm, placing it in a centrifuge to separate your red blood cells from the platelet-rich plasma. The PRP will then be drawn into a syringe
- With a small needle, the PRP will be injected into the targeted area to stimulate tissue regeneration and encourage collagen and elastin production
This facial treatment usually lasts around 1-2 hours, with minimal downtime. After the procedure, it is also common to experience around 1-3 days of redness.
HOW LONG DO THE RESULTS LAST?
Depending on your age, lifestyle, and your procedure, you can expect the effects of your vampire facial to last upwards of 6 to 18 months.
As the treatment encourages an increase of blood flow into the treated area, you may well even see your facial lasting years down the road. Additionally, vampire facials jumpstart the body’s production of collagen and elastin which, in turn, means your skin will look dewy, hydrated, and youthful for even longer while also smoothing lines and breaking up scar tissue.
WHAT ARE MY PAYMENT OPTIONS?
We are here to serve you in any way we can, and that includes financially. Please contact us at 587 521 0667 to schedule a consultation and discuss what treatment plan is best for you, quotes, payment plans, and any other concerns you may have.
Edmonton Vampire Facial FAQ
After the vampire facial, it takes 30 days for the new collagen to regenerate itself. This is on average how long it takes to heal completely. If you are experiencing any discomfort or issues after your treatment, contact us and our team will be happy to assist you.
We recommend that you wait at least 4 hours after your facial to wash your face. The facial works best when the skin is left as undisturbed as possible during the initial period. However, if you must wash your face, then “dab-dry” to avoid pulling at the skin.
The vampire facials at Hemingway Medical Spa are performed by Dr. Jamie D. Olesen. He is a licensed Edmonton family physician who strives to give his clients the best service and use the latest techniques in doing so. Visit us today!
It can take just one treatment to get the results that you want. However, just like with any other medical treatment, the more facials you receive, the greater the results. Consistency in your facial treatments will also determine how long the effects of the treatment last.
No, we ask that you avoid alcohol for at least 7 days after your procedure. In addition to that, do not take corticosteroids, anti-inflammatory medications such as; Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, and Aspirin, for at least 2 weeks after your procedure. For more information, our team at Hemingway Medical Spa will give you a detailed post-facial treatment routine.
We recommend that you...
- Do not touch your skin for at least 6 hours to allow your skin to absorb any remaining serum
- Do not use any exfoliants or harsh skincare products on your skin for at least 72 hours. Gentle non-chemical, organic moisturizers or hyaluronic acid are okay to use during this period; however, please check with your doctor to ensure that your products are safe to use with your facial
- Do not apply any kind of makeup, and if you use any skincare products, to wash your brushes and applicators as carefully as you can to remove potentially harmful infection-causing bacteria and pathogens
- Do not stay in the sun for long periods of time
- Do not partake in any activities that can cause sweating as your skin is still in the process of healing following your facial
- Do not partake in activities that involve heating the skin such as tanning beds, steam or sauna rooms, hot showers, or jacuzzis
- Do not use any kind of skincare product that can cause damage or peeling of the skin. This also includes other kinds of facials, face massages, and laser treatments
- Do not take any blood thinners, anti-inflammatory medications, or corticosteroids following your vampire facial. We also strongly discourage drinking alcohol after your facial
- Do gently wash your face the following day with lukewarm water if you feel like it is needed. Try to avoid any cleansers that may harm your skin. Be sure to wash your hands with soap before touching the treated area
- Do gently pat or dab dry and take care in making sure you are not rubbing the treated area
- If you are feeling any kind of discomfort following 24 hours of the facial, make sure you give us a call
- Use an ice pack to reduce your swelling with a thin cloth placed between the pack and skin
- Sleep on your back with your head elevated for at least 2 days following your treatment to reduce swelling and bruising
For more information about what kind of aftercare you need for your vampire facial, be sure to talk to one of our doctors or come in for a consultation!