Find Your Confidence with Edmonton Microdermabrasion Treatment
There are many different types of microdermabrasion technologies on the market. At Hemingway Medical Spa in Edmonton and Sherwood Park, we use the Dermafrac microdermabrasion platform for both microdermabrasion and microneedling (also commonly referred to as microchanneling). Along with microdermabrasion, Hemingway Medical Spa offers a variety of skin, body, and cosmetic treatments for beauty, recovery, self-identity, or just to treat yourself. At our luxury boutique medical spa in Edmonton and Sherwood Park, our highly-trained team of microdermabrasion professionals are ready to assist you with the most advanced microdermabrasion techniques.
At Hemingway Medical Spa in Edmonton, our mission is to enhance a healthy self-image by using the latest cosmetic techniques, technology, and artistry so that all of our patients can become their most confident selves. Under the direction of Dr. Olesen, our Edmonton team will provide a comfortable, stress-free, and respectful atmosphere where all patients will feel at home. If you are interested in microdermabrasion or microneedling services, contact Hemingway Medical Spa in Edmonton or Sherwood Park for a consultation today!
Reinvigorate Your Skin At Hemingway Medical Spa
Microdermabrasion mechanically exfoliates dead skin cells with a combination of vacuum suction and an abrasive aluminum hydroxide surface. It has been proven that microdermabrasion treatments:
- Are a well-tolerated skin treatment alternative
- Aid in accelerating new skin cell growth resulting in improvements in skin texture
A study done by Karimipour et al. investigated the molecular mechanism behind microdermabrasion using a total of 49 subjects who underwent one microdermabrasion treatment. After the treatment, the authors found changes to the level of proteins involved in wound healing and downstream collagen remodelling within the dermal layer. In addition, the authors did not detect epidermal barrier damage, which would have led to moisture loss and subsequently dehydration. 
 Karimipour DJ, Karimipour G, Orringer JS. Microdermabrasion: an evidence-based review. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010 Jan;125(1):372-377.
 Karimipour DJ, Kang S, Johnson TM, Orringer JS, Hamilton T, Hammerberg C, et al. Microdermabrasion: a molecular analysis following a single treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol 2005 Feb;52(2):215-223.
Microneedling is a process that uses tiny, medical-grade needles to create microchannels through the surface of the skin to penetrate into the depth of the dermal layer. This intentional ‘wounding’ stimulates the skin’s healing response, which leads to the production of collagen and elastin.
Additionally, a peptide serum is concurrently infused through these newly created micro-pores, which further activates the cellular components of the skin, resulting in plump and firm skin.
This procedure is commonly used to treat fine lines, uneven pigment and texture, dry skin, acne scars, and laxity.
In other words, microneedling involves the following:
- Surgical-grade microneedles create channels that target the dermis (deeper layer of the skin) to infuse the serum
- Stimulates a natural response to increase fibroblast activity, which leads to the production of collagen and elastin, resulting in plump, hydrated skin
- Different serums are available to tailor to different skin types and concerns (Rejuvenate, Growth Factor Plus, Lightening, Acne, Hydrating)
- Minimize fine lines, stretch marks, hyperpigmentation, sun damage, acne scars, pore reduction, acne, and uneven skin tone(4-6)
Additionally, studies done by El-Domyati M et al. investigated the result of six microneedling treatments in ten patients (Fitzpatrick skin type III and IV) and found that all participating patients had improvements in skin texture and wrinkles after the final treatment.
To learn more about these procedures, book a consultation with Dr. Olesen!
Preparation and Aftercare Following Your Microdermabrasion & Microneedling Skin Treatment
Once you have completed your initial consultation with Dr. Olesen and we have found the perfect medical therapy for your skin health, we will begin preparing for the procedure. As both procedures can be completed fairly quickly, they do not require much preparation.
For the best microdermabrasion results, we recommend that you:
- Ensure that the treatment area is product-free. If you are wearing any makeup, creams, or lotions, our professionals will help you cleanse your skin before the procedure
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun for several days to a week before your session
- Do not shave or wax for up to a week before your appointment to avoid potential pore infections and to minimize irritation
- Wait between procedures if you are also looking to get another medical spa treatment done such as a chemical peel or vampire facial
- Do not smoke for up to a week before your session to improve the blood flow around your desired area of treatment
Please inform our aestheticians if you are taking any medications such as Accutane as this may affect the results of your session. Microneedling preparation involves the following:
- Avoiding topical agents that may influence the sensitivity of your skin such as retinoids, exfoliants, or topical antibiotics or acids for up to a week before your session
- Avoiding the use of any anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin, Advil, or ibuprofen for at least 3 days prior to your treatment as these may interfere with the recovery process
- Avoiding unprotected sun exposure, IPL, or other laser procedures, for at least 2 weeks before your treatment
- Avoiding the use of blood-thinning agents for at least a week as bruising is a common side-effect of microneedling
- No waxing, depilatory creams, or electrolysis to ensure that the area of treatment is free of any possible infections
- No shaving to minimize irritation
Both procedures are fairly simple and can be completed within a lunch hour. However, to ensure that you can enjoy your beautifully hydrated and healthy skin for a long time, we strongly encourage our patients to follow these aftercare steps:
- The first 24 hours following your session is the most important when it comes to guaranteeing the best microdermabrasion or microneedling results. As such, you should keep your skin cool and avoid activities that will raise your body temperature for the first day after your treatment
- Start a gentle skincare routine to prolong the results of your session
- Stay well hydrated throughout the days following your treatment
- Avoid picking or peeling and allow your body to naturally remove any dead skin cells
- Practice sun safety and protection. Avoid sunburns whenever possible
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications for up to one week after your session
 McCrudden MT, McAlister E, Courtenay AJ, Gonzalez-Vazquez P, Singh TR, Donnelly RF. Microneedle applications in improving skin appearance. Exp Dermatol 2015 Aug;24(8):561-566.
 El-Domyati M, Barakat M, Awad S, Medhat W, El-Fakahany H, Farag H. Multiple microneedling sessions for minimally invasive facial rejuvenation: an objective assessment. Int J Dermatol 2015 Dec;54(12):1361-1369.
 Iriarte C, Awosika O, Rengifo-Pardo M, Ehrlich A. Review of applications of microneedling in dermatology. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol 2017 Aug 8;10:289-298.
 Hernandez-Perez E, Ibiett EV. Gross and microscopic findings in patients undergoing microdermabrasion for facial rejuvenation. Dermatol Surg 2001 Jul;27(7):637-640.
Drag for before & after
When you choose to receive microdermabrasion at Hemingway Medical Spa in Edmonton and Sherwood Park, we know that there are different types of microdermabrasion technologies on the market. Our highly-trained team of microdermabrasion professionals use the Dermafrac platform for both microdermabrasion and microneedling as it is the most advanced technique.
Microdermabrasion mechanically exfoliates dead skin cells with a combination of vacuum suction and an abrasive aluminum hydroxide surface while microneedling uses tiny, medical-grade needles to create microchannels through the surface of the skin. Both procedures work to improve the skin texture.
Contact us today to figure out what treatment is perfect for you.
After microdermabrasion you should avoid touching, rubbing, or picking your skin, which can slow the healing process. We also give you detailed and extensive microdermabrasion aftercare instructions that will allow you to see the best results.
The side effects of microdermabrasion are not long lasting and generally go away within several hours after treatment. MIcrodermabrasion side effects can include mild tenderness, swelling, and redness. We know and understand these microdermabrasion symptoms and give you all the instruction you need. However, if they continue after your microdermabrasion treatment, contact us so we can assist you further.
Following your first microneedling or microchanneling appointment, you can expect to have redness and minor swelling around the treated area that will last from 30 minutes to a few hours with very minimal downtime.
If you would like to learn more about the microneedling procedure process, please contact us at 587-521-0667.
Both microdermabrasion and microneedling typically take around 30-45 minutes depending on the size and location of your desired treatment area. The most common treated area is the skin around the face, which can take around 20-30 minutes.
For more information, be sure to ask our knowledgeable medical professionals during your skin treatment consultation!
Microdermabrasion has been proven to aid in maintaining healthy skin as well as correct fine lines & wrinkles, acne scars, hyperpigmentation caused by age or sun damage, acne, and oily skin. This treatment can also help bring your dull skin back to life and give you a more youthful glow.
As the procedure treats only the top layer of the skin, patients can return for their next treatment a week following their first. This period will depend mainly on how quickly the skin recovers, which will vary from patient to patient.
No! Most microneedling patients report that the procedure feels like a slight vibration against the skin and experience little to no pain.